Don’t leave everything to the day before the move. Here are a few tips to make your move as smooth as possible.
- Make a priority packing list.
- Consider what doesn’t need to come with you, fragile items that will need careful packing, and that you are covered for any potential breakages.
- Take some time to sift through your belongings and have a clean-out. Donate unwanted items to thrift shops, have a garage sale or visit an on-line auction, then you’ll have some extra funds that can go towards some re-decorating or a new carpet.
- Get packing materials well in advance. Find boxes in a variety of sizes. Think about what else you’ll be likely to need, such as strong tape, bubble wrap, and self-seal bags for keeping nuts and bolts together. You can even save old newspapers for lining boxes and wrapping ornaments.
- Make sure boxes aren’t over-filled, you want to be able to lift them.
- Use sturdy packing boxes, particularly for heavier items. Boxes made from corrugated cardboard are stronger than regular ones. You can usually find these at supermarkets, off-licences or large retail stores, or we can provide them for you.
- Check with your insurance provider that your contents insurance will cover damage and breakages during the move.
- Keep all hazardous materials, such as paint, bleach and aerosols away from the rest of your belongings.